Does Your Furnace Need a Tune-Up?
You get your furnace tuned up annually but what if you miss a year? How do you know when your furnace isn’t working at optimal levels? Luckily, there are several clues that let you know when you need to call us!
Top signs your furnace needs a tune-up
- Carbon monoxide detector is triggered: Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that may be fatal. If your home’s detector goes off, immediately vacate your house and call the fire department. If you have no symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and you’re comfortable doing so, you may turn off all gas appliances in your home and open the windows. Once your home is safe, contact us to repair your furnace and ensure that it is completely burning fuel.
- The pilot light is orange or yellow: An orange or yellow pilot light is a sign that your furnace has a problem. Normally, the pilot light is blue. If your light is orange or yellow, please get your furnace repaired as soon as possible.
- You’re cold: This one might be obvious but if your furnace isn’t heating, you need a tune-up. Perhaps only some rooms are being adequately heated or maybe there is no heat coming out of your registers. If you’re unable to reach a comfortable temperature, a tune-up will analyze your system and clean up your unit.
- The furnace turns on & off: A furnace that regularly cycles on and off for a few seconds at a time needs maintenance. The wiring, fan motor, or thermostat may need repair.
- High energy bills: A less obvious issue may show itself in higher energy bills during the fall and winter. If your home is comfortable but your furnace is working too hard to maintain that temperature, then your energy bills will be more expensive. Inefficient systems cost you money.
- Odors: A gas or oil furnace may smell faintly of burnt fuel but the odor shouldn’t be strong or prevalent throughout your home. The smell of rotten eggs also indicates that your furnace needs a tune-up.
- Unusual sounds: Furnaces are rarely completely silent but unusual sounds indicate your system requires a tune-up or a repair on the blower motor. Loud banging, hissing, grinding, or dripping sounds indicate your system needs a tune-up.
- Poor air quality: A home with dry or musty air, or an unusual accumulation of dust, may be a sign that your system is dirty and needs cleaning. Similarly, if your allergies or asthma are worsening, you be suffering from poor air quality.
Contact us today to schedule your tune-up! Don’t live with a cold, expensive, or uncomfortable home.Share this...
December 12, 2018 Heating