Daikin ATMOSPHERA Heat Pump System
At Comfort Heating and Cooling, our goal is to provide affordable and efficient heating and cooling options to everyone. That’s why we’re thrilled Daikin is leading the way with its new ductless heat pump system, ATMOSPHERA. This cutting-edge system is efficient and even more sustainable thanks to the safe refrigerant that it uses.
What is refrigerant?
Commonly used in many things that cool, such as air conditioners, heat pumps, freezers, and refrigerators, a refrigerant is a gas that absorbs heat while expanding or vaporizing. Found in either a fluid or gaseous state, it provides cooling once it runs through parts such as evaporators.
Housed in copper coils, refrigerant transitions from a gas to a liquid as it absorbs heat. Hot air then blows over the coils, which sends the refrigerant to the exterior unit. There, the refrigerant cools and reverts back to a gas. A fan blows air over the cooled coils to send cold air throughout the home.
Problems with refrigerant
Refrigerant has typically been made with substances that deplete the ozone layer and contribute to climate change. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are the main culprit, although non-halogenated hydrocarbons, ammonia, and sulfur dioxide have negative effects, too. When equipment is poorly maintained, faulty, or improperly disposed of, then refrigerants can leak into the atmosphere.
There have been three main types of refrigerants used in the United States.
- R12, a type of chlorofluorocarbon (CFC), hasn’t been in production since the 1990s due to its contribution to the greenhouse gas effect.
- R22, a type of hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC), isn’t as damaging as R12, but it was still mandated to be phased out by 2020 in a section of the Clean Air Act in 2010.
- R410A and R134 are types of hydrochlorofluorocarbons that contain no chlorine. This makes them much safer for the environment, while also being reliable and efficient. If you purchase a new air conditioner or heat pump, it will use this safe type of refrigerant.
As a proud partner of Daikin, we’re thrilled they’re leading the industry by switching to a new generation of refrigerants that are even safer for the environment. Daikin ATMOSPHERA is the first single zone ductless unit in North America that uses R32 refrigerant. R32 has a lower Global Warming Potential (GWP) than even R410A.
Download the Daiking ATMOSPHERA brochure!
Why is Daikin ATMOSPHERA so groundbreaking?
- It’s proven! R32 has been widely used throughout most of the world, so we know how well it works. Not only is it installed in more than 90 countries, but there are over 160 million R32 units made by over 40 manufacturers worldwide.
- It’s easy to use! R32 is a single-component refrigerant so it’s easy to top off or reuse on-site. Even better? It’s simple to reclaim and recycle.
- It’s efficient! R32 has excellent thermodynamic properties. When compared to R410A, it will consume less energy over its lifetime and will emit fewer indirect emissions.
Is Daikin ATMOSPHERA Single Zone System right for you?
Ductless heat pumps are a great option for residential and commercial spaces that need a little extra comfort. Try one in rooms that have poor air flow, get too hot or too cold, or don’t have access to a sufficient heating/cooling system. Ductless systems are convenient for home additions, ADUs, or buildings without ductwork. Daikin heat pumps can replace or even supplement an existing heating and cooling system.
Learn more about Daikin ATMOSPHERA and contact Comfort Heating & Cooling for a free quote! You’ll love the customized home comfort you receive from a Daikin heat pump and you’ll appreciate the opportunity to use an Earth-friendly technology!