Spring Home Maintenance Tips
Ah, spring! While you’re enjoying the warm breezes, longer evenings, and blooming flowers, make sure you make some time for a little home maintenance. Then you can get back to lounging on your patio!
- Clean the gutters. Clogged gutters can let water into the basement or crawl space. Downspouts should be clean and drain away from the foundation.
- Move firewood piled close to your house. Firewood should be stored five feet from your house and 18 inches off the ground.
- Clean your HVAC filters to avoid indoor air quality issues and to ensure your equipment isn’t working harder than it needs to.
- Inspect your roof for loose tiles and moss. Prompt repairs or cleaning mean you’re not risking water damage to your house.
- Clean your dryer vent. Not all lint gets caught in the trap and this excess material not only makes your dryer run longer, but it could cause a fire.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke detector. This should be done annually no matter how old the batteries are. Pop in fresh batteries and make sure you test your detectors once a month.
- Repair cracked or peeling paint on your home’s exterior. Paint provides protection from the elements and also makes your house look nice.
- Check your lawn equipment. Gas up and/or recharge batteries and sharpen lawnmower blades to make yardwork easier.
- Inspect concrete. Check your home’s foundation, driveway, steps or sidewalk for cracks. Hairline cracks can be filled with silicon caulk or concrete filler but if the cracks are large, you should call in a professional for advice.
Finally, have a qualified heating and cooling contractor clean and service your HVAC system. Make sure your system is ready to take on the summer heat and help keep it running at peak performance levels. Give us a call today!
April 15, 2019 Maintenance