Stay Cool This Summer! Our Top 3 Air Conditioner Tips
If you’re a long-time resident of Portland, Oregon, you know that our summers are getting hotter. While air-conditioned homes are less prevalent than they are in other cities, up to 70 percent of homes in the area have some sort of air conditioning, an increase from 44 percent in 2002. If you’re lucky enough to have central air conditioning, your family has become accustomed to comfort! Don’t risk a broken-down or inefficient system during a sweltering heatwave — ensure your home is ready for summer with these HVAC tips.
Tip #1: Use a programmable thermostat
Easy-to-install programmable thermostats are a convenient and affordable way to get a handle on your cooling expenses. Once installed, you can:
- Set temperature by time and day so your home is comfortable even when you’re not home.
- Automatically increase the temperature at night and lower it again before the day gets too hot.
- Adjust temperature based on increased occupancy, later bedtimes and wake-up times, and weekend trips.
Plus, thermostats ensure a consistent temperature so your home doesn’t get too hot from the start! It’s far more effective and efficient to keep your home at a comfortable, cooler temperature all day long instead of letting it get too hot and then trying to cool it down.
Tip #2: Check airflow
Proper airflow helps your system work as it should while reducing allergens. Luckily, there are a few simple actions that homeowners can take to improve airflow between tune-ups:
- Change your air filter as often as necessary to remove dust and allergens that have accumulated.
- Check filters on a monthly basis, as certain times of year (like summer) might require more frequent changes.
- Check that all interior air vents are opened and not blocked by furniture, rugs, or other items.
- Make sure your exterior unit is free from debris like grass clippings, leaves, and anything that might block the airflow.
- Clear an area around the unit as well, so plantings or outdoor items aren’t obstructing the flow of air.
Tip #3: Schedule a spring tune-up so you’re ready for summer
This one is so important! By thoroughly inspecting your home cooling system, a professional can assess and ensure that normal wear and tear doesn’t turn into a major issue. By preventing these big problems, your system will keep working as it should and you’ll hopefully avoid a pricey repair or system replacement. Ensure your technician performs a 22-point tune-up so your system runs efficiently all summer long. A comprehensive inspection will catch those little issues before they create problems.
During a tune-up, professionals will check the condenser motor, inspecting bearings, the return air, and remove buildup that may have been around the condenser. A clogged system is inefficient and takes longer to cool a home, so proper cleaning is vital. An air conditioner tune-up can also save you money — an efficient system will lower your utility bills.
Plus, your HVAC professional will protect your system’s warranty. These warranties generally require seasonal maintenance in order to stay valid, so skipping the professional servicing can actually void the warranty.
Care for your system and help it last as long as possible, so you can avoid the significant expense of purchasing and installing a new air conditioner. Contact Comfort Heating & Cooling to schedule a tune-up!
summer hvac maintenance