Common Applications for Ductless Heat Pumps
Updated for 2022!
A ductless heat pump (also called a mini-split) is an affordable heating and cooling option for homes and businesses. Mini-splits provide affordable and efficient heating and cooling in many situations. Not sure if a ductless system or traditional furnace/air conditioner would be better for your particular situation? Let’s take a look at a few common situations where a ductless heat pump is most often recommended.
What is a ductless heat pump?
A heat pump transfers warm and cool air between the inside and the outside. During the summer, warm air is transferred from inside a home to the outside. During winter, warmer outside air is pumped inside. Since heat pumps transfer warm air instead of generating heat, they’re much more efficient and more affordable to operate than furnaces and air conditioners.
At Comfort Heating & Cooling, we install ductless heat pumps that require no expensive and inefficient ductwork. These systems consist of an indoor air handler and an outdoor compressor unit and circulate refrigerant through tubing. The inside unit (there can be a single inside unit or multiple ones) is installed high on a wall and operated by a remote control.
Benefits of a mini-split
These flexible systems are ideal for spaces that need extra heating/cooling and for people seeking affordable comfort.
- Flexibility: Ductless systems are the epitome of flexibility. They permit heating and cooling of a space on an as-needed basis, which is useful for rooms that are used sporadically. This customization is also useful for rooms that get especially hot or cold due to window placement, insulation irregularities, orientation, or tree coverage.
- Efficiency: No ducts mean less waste. In conventional HVAC systems, much of the heated air is lost as it travels through the ductwork. This can be due to improper installation, lack of sealing, or just deterioration over the years. With ductless systems, all the air goes right into your space, ensuring you don’t waste energy or money.
- Design options: Indoor units are inconspicuous and can be purchased in a variety of styles (such as wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted, or concealed). The indoor units can be purchased in a variety of styles, such as wall-mounted, ceiling mounted, or concealed. No matter how you want your room to look, you’ll find a system that will look great!
Ductless heat pumps are ideal for homes or businesses that have:
- Expensive electric resistance heat (including baseboard, furnace, and wall heaters)
- No existing ductwork
- No central air conditioning
- Costly central heating systems that have high fuel costs or low system efficiency.
- Additions or outbuildings (such as a shed, ADU, or garage)
- Rooms that are not regularly occupied
- Spaces where ductwork would be exposed to harsher temperatures (such as a guest room above a garage)
Ready to upgrade your home’s heating & cooling?
Contact the pros at Comfort Heating & Cooling for a free estimate and learn how easy and affordable home comfort can be! Our reliable technicians will assess your home and needs and provide a recommendation that meets your budget requirements. We take pride in balancing all the factors that go into the decision-making process to ensure you end up with a system that you feel great about. Call 503-679-9276 to schedule your ductless heat pump consultation with one of our certificated HVAC technicians.